Sunday, February 4, 2018

Grenada


We dock early – 7 am – and I don’t even hear the call that people can go ashore.  We end up waking at 8:30 and are slow to get moving.  I type up my blog and post it.  Have to be cautious of my minutes as I have used quite a bit this voyage with the blog and posting pictures and I need to save some for banking and personal stuff.

Today we have the Sanctuary booked all day.  


Although we do love Grenada with such an early departure we thought it would be best to hang out on the open decks and we do love the Sanctuary.

I really don’t know what to write! 

Our day was spent up in the Sanctuary from around 9 am until 3 pm up there.  Tudor sat us and made sure my latte was ordered.  The crew again pamper us. 

It is not very busy up here in the morning as we are in port.  But the afternoon session is VERY busy, full actually.

While in port it is so very HOT. You really miss that breeze when you are staying still and once we depart the breeze helps a lot.

There was a regatta of some sorts happening today in Grenada which made leaving the dock rather challenging for Captain Nash.  Sail boats racing really don’t want to make way for a HUGE ship.  But Captain handled it very well.

We were in port with a Thompson Cruise ship and there was a ship tendering in.  Both were rather small – and combined they do not equal the passenger count that we are.

I want to share what happened in the elevator going up to the Sun deck. A couple who were French from France were waiting at the elevator bank and speaking French and saying insulting things about the island of Grenada.  Of course they did not know I speak French.  I responded that the beaches here are amazing but sadly because we are not here long and leave early afternoon it makes it difficult.  They still complained that this island is horrible and that many of these islands are not worth getting off to see.  I responded I was sorry to hear that but the ship is a beautiful destination.  They sort of agreed, but then complained about the ship.  My final response was “well I hope you have a good holiday”.  

But sadly I do not think that will happen.  I am a glass half full woman, there is beauty in everything you just have to choose to look for it instead of the ugly things.  And even ugly things have beauty!  

Sure many of these ports are not full of shops and stunning white sand beaches, but heck this is the Caribbean.  Can you get any more beauty then sailing towards Grenada and the lush mountain sides with the smell of spice in the air? 

The beaches here and around and some Caribbean islands have breathtaking black sand beaches from the volcanoes.  The people here are so friendly and I love hearing their languages spoken. 

Travel is meant to expand our senses, to try new things, hear new things, and taste new things. So get out and embrace it, whatever you do.

Sometimes as travellers we take our baggage with us.  A Caribbean vacation is a time to relax and unwind.  We need to take Princess’ slogan to heart “Come Back New”.



Okay, back to today.  We ordered lunch up in the Sanctuary – Bernie had the shrimp and crudities, me I had the tuna salad and gazpacho.  


We head back to the cabin around 3 pm - skipping  afternoon tea – I know crazy but true.  Before heading out we reserved our lounges for the next cruise.  We have booked the first sea day, Antigua and 2nd to last sea day.

I wanted to check out the cameras on board and was going to buy one of the underwater cameras but changed my mind when I heard that you do not get the 10% elite discount in the photo department.  You only get the discount in the boutiques.

Tonight was even quieter.  The Captain Circle Parties are happening tonight.  I know there are three parties but we decide to skip it this voyage and to get some martinis and to chat with Stefan, Felix, Farrell.  It is quiet – funny same thing happened last cruise on this day too.

We have dinner upstairs in Horizon Court.  Really enjoyed the Greek section having stuffed peppers and a greek salad. 

They are doing the Crab Shack tonight too.  This 10 day hosts the Crab Shack only one night per cruise so make sure you reserve you spot when boarding.

We wander around a bit but there really is nothing that we want to attend and since we missed our nap during our stressful day – ha ha, we head back to the cabin and watch the movie ET.  Boy it has been a long time since I have seen that movie.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your daily adventures with us. I look forward to seeing the blog every day. I know how precious those internet minutes are so I hope you know how much it is appreciated! We may physically be back home in the cold, but mentally we are right back in the Sanctuary sharing a bushwhacker with you and Bernie! We can't wait until its a reality!!

    ReplyDelete