Friday, February 23, 2018

Martinique


We are not docking till 11 so I enjoy a lovely sleep in. 

After a shower I gather my computer and some books and head out to find a quiet spot to enjoy my coffee and do some research.

But the ship is busy.  People are dressed and ready to get off and are meeting up with friends to plan their days.

I sneak up to Club 6 which is quiet.  The Veteran’s get together is just ending and I take a seat at the opposite end of the lounge.  So proud that Princess does these gatherings.  I also thank them for their service, no matter what country you served for.  It is appreciated.

It is now very quiet and the air conditioning is strong in here but I like it cool but it would be too cold for some, so bring a sweater.  It is a perfect temperature for those dancing at night though.

I am reviewing a Chilean tour book for more research for my destination presentations.  The book comes from the library and I only have a few more days to review it before I have to return it.

The room is starting to fill up.  I finally figure out that they are hosting trivia here.  Matt hosts the trivia and again he is just so funny.  He makes attending a regular trivia even more fun and trust me I need something to keep me going when playing as I just don’t know most of the answers.

We dock and the clearance is stated and the ship feels like the drain has been pulled from the tub.  People funnel out and I feel like I am all by myself.

I too want to go ashore in Martinique.  Last time we were here we took a taxi to a resort and enjoyed the beach.  Read about it here.

Today I am going off by myself.  Bernie is at the Sanctuary relaxing and resting.  He still has that cold so he is doing exactly what he needs to do.  That is the great thing about cruising, a couple can do that and we each know the other is okay.


When I step onto the pier it is very humid and the wind is kicking up.  Make sure you hold onto your hat as you walk along the pier as the wind will pick it up and take it away. 



There are some pedal bikes you can hire to transport you to the pier entrance for a small fee.

As I get to the end of the pier the skies open and a massive shower hits.  We all take cover wherever we can.  I am under the taxi/tour information tent where I chat with some of the other cruisers.  I also help out by translating for some of the passengers with the locals.  Glad I can help out too and I get to practice my French.  Although many locals speak a bit of English it will help if you can help with a few words, or hey maybe a bit of hand signals.


The rain stops a few minutes later and the humidity goes up.  I take a quick picture and as you can see the humidity is not being nice to my hair and it is hot.  Make sure to bring water ashore and keep hydrated.


There are some lovely artisan shops right there at the pier in some tents. I buy a lovely pair of earrings. They take credit cards and will give you a bit better price for cash – note prices are in Euros but will let you know what the price is in US.


I walk by the water taxi stands which are a very short distance from the ship’s pier.

We are very close to the downtown and it is easy to get to. 


The city is lovely.  I walk along and check out the shops. 



There is a lovely three story mall that has some nice stores inside.


Once outside again I see the local market.  I always enjoy the local markets.

After wandering about the city for an hour or so I wander back on board.

I am up at the Sanctuary in no time and totally relaxing.  

Those serenity stewards are the best.  Again I find the Royal’s Sanctuary to be the best in the fleet – but I am a bit biased.  I even get in a small nap!

We are slow to get moving in the evening and are only out of the cabin at 8 pm. 

Of course you all know where we start out our evening – VINES. 

Bernie and I agree we are due for a pizza at Alfredos. 
Tonight’s buffet theme is Bavarian Night – or German Buffet.  Although we love the German buffet we agree a pizza is more of what we want tonight.
Oh and it was so yummy! 

It is the Love Boat Disco Deck Party and we were not sure if it was going to happen tonight but thankfully the weather cooperated and it is a go!

Todd and Sue are with us and boy did with have a fun night.  We dance all night long – yes I am quoting Lionel Richie!  We were up on the stage too dancing with each other and the cruise staff.

When the dancers come out to perform I watch and try to follow.  Hey I will never see these people again.


The electric slide comes on and Matt O is leading us in the steps.  At one point he turns around and cracks up when he sees that most are facing all different directions!  Yup we are all going by the beat of our own drum. But hey the key is to have fun and we ARE!

There was a few technical issues tonight.  The Mutts Screen was not working.  I joked that one bulb is burned out and the whole lot goes out just like a string of lights on a Christmas Tree!  Just kidding but hey might be!

What is great is seeing how the crew come together to make things work even when not all things work.  That is a great team!

We end the night at the Retreat Pool where BOGO is happening (Buy One Get One for a Dollar).  So glad to get this venue up tonight.  This is the first cruise in four that the Retreat Party is happening tonight.

Overall today rates as one of the best days on this voyage.  

A big shout out goes to Todd and Sue for being a part of making that happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment